Visiting Scholar Program (VSP) -1-
14 November 2006 – 25 January 2007
The Visiting Scholar Program (VSP) -1- was held at the Bibliotheca Alexandrina from November 2006 until January 2007, featuring Professor Mohamed El-Sharkawi, Lab Director, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Washington.
Biography of Scholar
Professor Mohamed El-Sharkawi
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of Washington
- Vice President for Technical Activities of the IEEE Neural Networks Society.
- Editor/co-editor of several IEEE tutorial books on Intelligent Systems and Applications.
- Member of the administrative committee of the IEEE Neural Networks Council representing the Power Engineering Society.
- Multi- Media Tutorial Chair of the neural network Society.
- Founding Chairman of numerous IEEE task forces and working groups and subcommittees.
- Member of the editorial board and associate editor of several journals.
- Organized and taught several international tutorials on intelligent systems applications, power quality and power systems.
- Chairman of the IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives, Seattle , May 1999.
- Founder of the international conference on the Application of Neural Networks to Power Systems (ANNPS).
- Co-founder of the international conference on Intelligent Systems Applications to Power (ISAP).
- Organized and chaired numerous panel and special sessions in IEEE and other conferences.
- Consultant on electric safety, operation and control of electric systems, devices and circuits, and intelligent systems.
- Published over 200 papers and book chapters in his research areas.
- Fundamentals of Electric Drives ( Brooks/Cole,2000).
- Electric Energy: An Introduction (CRC Press, 2004).
El-Sharkawi’s Research/Editorial Books
- Evolutionary Computation Techniques for Power System Optimization (IFAC, 2004)
- Evolutionary Computation and Applications (IEEE, 2000)
- Modern Heuristic Optimization Techniques with Applications to Power Systems (IEEE, 2002.)
- Artificial Neural Networks with Applications to Power Systems (IEEE, 1996)
||Adaptive sequential controller with minimum switching energy
||Adaptive sequential controller
||Optically triggered high voltage switch network and method for switching a high voltage
||Reactive power compensator
||Reactive power compensating system
Schedule of Visiting Scholar Program -1-
1. “On the Issues and Problems of Scientific Research in the Arab World” conference
Date: 14-15 November 2006
2. “How to Write a Successful Research Proposal : For Engineering and Information Technology Researchers and Graduate (PhD/MSc/Postdoctoral) students” Workshop
Date: 17-19 November 2006
3. Engineering for the 21st Century seminar
Date: 2 December 2006
4. Renewable Energy lecture
Date: 2 December 2006
5. Electrical Safety lecture
Date: 25 January 2007