Education for Sustainable Development beyond the Campus (EduCamp)
The project aimed to promote the Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) in the Egyptian society. The project is the first initiative in Egypt that brings universities and schools together in a structured mechanism. It is a three years project, within the framework of the TEMPUS (Trans-European Mobility Programme for University Studies).
The EduCamp consortium included 17 partner organizations from the (EU) European Union and from Egypt.
RWTH Aachen University, Germany (project coordinator), Karl-Franzens University of Graz, Austria, University of Limerick, Ireland, Centre of studies, Information and Education for the Environment, Portugal, INGENEURGESELLSCHAFT DR.ING. NACKENMBH, Germany,
Cairo University, Alexandria University, Suez Canal University, Fayoum University, Zagazig University, Heliopolis University, American University in Cairo (AUC).
Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Wadi Environmental Science Center, SEKEM Development Foundation.
- Establishing University Centers of Excellence to Promote ESD 7 Centers inside 7 EG universities will be models for other universities to follow. Centers bring together universities, schools, NGOs, SMEs, Bib Alex and Ministry.
- Developing Teaching ESD Resource Kits for Schools Resource Kits, will provide information for students and teachers on SD and ESD, and also contains stories, pictures, etc.
- Developing Innovative ESD Teaching Methodologies “I hear and I forget. I see and I believe. I do and I understand. ” (Confucius). Physical models, demonstrations, outdoor experiments and field work will be developed.
- Developing School Teachers’ Training Program (STTP) To enable teachers to use the developed materials and techniques, a training program will be developed.
- Developing an EU-EG Virtual Environment for School University Partnership To ensure cooperation between schools, universities, society and other stakeholders a virtual communication platform will be developed.